AmeriCorps Literacy Intervention Tutor Position
Reading Partners is a local nonprofit that works to expand life opportunities for underserved elementary school children by empowering them with strong literacy skills. Tutoring with Reading Partners requires absolutely no experience.
They are seeking tutors who are able to assist the on-site coordinator with tutoring and possible organizational projects, at a minimum of 20 hours per week.
AmeriCorps tutors may also be eligible to receive an AmeriCorps education award up to $2,775 upon completion of 300 – 900 hours of service that can be applied towards outstanding student loans or further education. Additional details will be provided upon interest. Those interested in participating in the AmeriCorps program will need to serve at least between 15 – 20 hours per week in order to complete their hours within the allocated amount of time.
Reading Partners work directly with schools in low-income communities to provide one-on-one literacy tutoring for students who read below grade level and operates 7 reading centers in elementary schools across the Denver/Aurora area. Opportunities are available Monday-Thursday from 8 am-4pm (depending on the site). Tutors range from high school students to retirees and the program is currently seeking AmeriCorps members for the following school sites:
Rocky Mountain Prep 7808 Cherry Creek S. Drive #3-301 Denver, CO 80231
University Prep 2409 Arapahoe St. Denver, CO 80205
Wyatt Academy 3620 Franklin St. Denver, CO 80205
Garden Place Academy 4435 Lincoln St. Denver, CO 80219
Escuela Valdez 2525 W 29th Denver, CO 80211
Force Elementary 1550 S Wolff St. Denver, CO 80219
College View 2675 South Decatur St. Denver, CO 80236
- Working one-on-one with elementary school students reading below grade level, using our structured curriculum
- Assisting in running the tutoring center, including substitute tutoring
- Assisting in volunteer management of tutors along with preparing and coordinating tutoring materials for volunteers
- Willingness to learn about tutoring strategies
- Patience working with students who need help learning
- Ability to work independently or with limited supervision
- Ability to interact effectively with diverse groups
- Ability to commit to a schedule and show up promptly when expected
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to Susan Andersen, Outreach Manager, at email@example.com
Please respond to the following questions in the cover letter:
1. Are you able to make a weekly minimum commitment of 20 hours? If so, would you like to fulfill more than the minimum?
2. What makes you interested in working with a literacy intervention non-profit?
3. What are the top three qualities of a good communicator?
Letters of recommendation/referrals for graduate school/employment are available upon successful completion of term.
Reading Partners is an equal opportunity employer.
For more information about Reading Partners, please visit our website at www.readingpartners.org